Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Powell-ing

I've been researching my Powell line for about three years. I always wondered about this line because it is not a traditional Mennonite name. It is slow going because, as far as I have been able to determine, no one has ever traced this line before. I have discovered more than one Mennonite in the line, but the majority of them were other denominations---or perhaps none at all.
I have my line traced to Edward Powell who was married in Philadelphia in 1771 and moved to Lancaster a few years later. But there I come to a brick wall I have not been able to break through. I have a theory where Edward came from but have not found anything to prove or disprove my ideas. My previous theory was disproved this winter when I found a deed in Harrisburg State Archives, so I am cautious about promoting my new theory without any documents for evidence.
In the meantime, I have been tracking the various branches of the Powells who descended from Edward but are not my direct line. This week I treated myself to another trip to the Lancaster County courthouse where I dug through the Orphan's Court records. I have been at this so long that I now recognize names in the records. I had a wonderful time and came home with quite a few notes and photocopies. One of them gave me the names of the four children of Peter Powell (son of Edward) who died in 1813. That turned out to be a Mother Lode! With those names, some of the information I had before now made sense and fit into place. And that led me to more information. I was up until 11 that night fitting puzzle pieces into place. I spent most of the next day working on it and by the end of the day I had found three of Peter's four children (who were the first cousins of my gr-gr-grandfather, Josiah) as well as their mates and children.
This was the biggest break I have had in many moons. I told Leroy, "This is more fun than Rough and Tumble." He rolled his eyes and groaned. He is welcome to go to Rough and Tumble in August to see the steam engines and tractors running if that's what spins his crank. To me, they look and sound the same every year. At least when I go Powell-ing I can turn up something new. We both like history and old things; we just go down different roads to get there. To each his own!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I think the connection there for you and Leroy is the Rough and Tumble part. He goes to a place called Rough and Tumble and you find our ancestors that are a bit rough and tumble.