Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, May 2, 2024

May Musings

    All of a sudden, May is here and spring is bursting out all over. May and October are my favorite months. They are the most beautiful and comfortable months of the year. At least in my book. You may differ and that's fine. God made a great variety on this earth and we get to pick what we like best.
    After a lot of up and down in April, the temperature has finally settled into warmth. Windows are open all night, flowers are taking their turns on the stage, annuals and bulbs have been planted. Farmers are busy planting corn which will grow to surround us with natural fencing until fall.
    We thought our house will fit us all our life since the bathroom and bedroom are on the main floor. But now we are finding that the yard work is becoming too heavy for us. There is always a lot to do all at once when spring is here. We are blessed with children who pitch in and help with the heavy work. Our daughter helps me with housecleaning some rooms twice a year and the sons help with yard work. Thanks to them, the cleaning and mulching are done as well as some other maintenance jobs in the house. Our children want us to stay here as long as we can and are making it possible. We certainly are not ready to move into a retirement or nursing home!  There wouldn't be enough to do and we would soon be bored.
   At the same time, we don't want to be a burden to our children. I hope we will know when the time is right to downsize. I hear stories from people whose parents cause problems because they will not acknowledge their decreased capabilities and continue to do things that have become dangerous for them. It can cause problems both ways, asking for too much help and not accepting enough help. Our children are not complaining so I think we are still in the happy medium stage.
    
Clearing The Way

I have waited quite a long time to get old,
So I think I should try to enjoy it.
I can't turn it in for a refund,
And I surely don't want to destroy it.

They tell me that life is a one-way street,
As if I am too dumb to know.
I might as well keep moving on forward.
There's not much choice where to go.

I would like to lighten the luggage
I've accumulated over the years.
I'd be smart to release all the memories
That brought about heartache and tears.

That would make living much better,
Free up space that then could be filled
With appreciation for the good things in life,
With the promise that then I could build

A future that lives for the moment,
With little concern for the past.
My time will be filled with contentment,
No matter how long it will last.

So now that I'm ready for the rest of the trip,
I foresee no problems ahead.
I'll make each day be a worthwhile event,
With no regrets for the life I have led.

(Alora M. Knight)
   


No comments: