Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Eternal Security

We spent the weekend with our daughter in Ohio. At their church, the adults currently are having a joint class taught by one of the ministry to study their Statement of Faith during the Sunday School hour. The topic this Sunday was Salvation. The teacher did a fine job of addressing the issue of the assurance and security of our salvation.
He made it clear that he does not believe in unconditional eternal security. I agree. The idea that a person cannot lose their salvation for any reason is not supported by the Scriptures. Salvation is based on faith. You can't kick God in the closet with the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny and still expect Him to take you to heaven. God only saves those who believe in Him and His Son. The Bible says, "He that cometh to God must believe that He is . . ." and "Without faith it is impossible to please Him."
Although it is possible to lose our salvation (if we drop our faith) we are eternally secure in Christ as long as our primary goal is to please God. If we are trusting our own intellect or works, our primary goal is not God but self. The grace of God continually cleanses those whose primary goal is to please Him so that our salvation is intact in spite of imperfections.
I think our Mennonite churches need more of this teaching on the grace of God. We are strong on teaching obedience (which is the response of faith) but weak on teaching grace. Grace does not give us license to sin but it does free us from fear. I am eternally secure in Christ so long as my faith in Him endures. That's like a big fat feather pillow under me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scribbler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scribbler said...

I AM open to comments on this subject. Let me explain why I deleted the first two.
The first comment was from an unidentified person I did not know, the content had nothing to do with the subject, and contained a link I did not trust. I posted the second comment advising people not to click on the link in the first comment. Then I had second thoughts and deleted the first comment entirely---and my second one since it no longer applied.