Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Evil Omen or Subtile Hint?

Back fifty years ago I remember my Dad talking about replacing his car when he saw his odometer creeping toward 100,000 miles. That was about as long as a car would last. I remember being relieved when he bought a new car and we were spared the disaster of the old one falling to pieces while we were in transit. I imagined the floor suddenly dropping out, leaving us sitting unprotected in the middle of the road.
Times have changed. We bought a three-year-old car in 1998 and passed the 100,000-mile mark a long time ago. Since I knew it would turn over again today while I was driving, I took the camera along and froze the historic moment so Leroy could see it. Yup! That's 200,000.

I pulled to the side of the road to take the picture---which happened to be right in front of Weaver Nut Company. Was that an evil omen or subtile hint? Is it time to replace this aging machine with something newer? Irregardless, we have now doubled the miles a car could be expected to run fifty years ago. It has served us well, but we all know nothing man-made will last forever.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow...That is remarkable...especially considering that it does have the word Ford on it anywhere! It just proves that miracles still happen.

Merle

Meredith said...

I meant that it doesn't have the word Ford on it.

Gene and Amy Stauffer said...

I heart my Mazda.