Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving List

A line of strong thunderstorms passed through at 2 a.m. and woke me up. As I lay in bed listening to the wind slamming the rain against the windows I began to realize how blessed I am. The roof on our house remained firmly attached and the only affect the storm had on me was to wake me up. I did not get wet or have to leave the safety and comfort of my bed. If I had been living in a plastic tent like some people in Haiti are doing, the story would have been quite different.
That thought led me to begin making a mental list of the things I am thankful for and too often take for granted. This list is by no means comprehensive or by order of importance, but here are some of the blessings on my Thanksgiving list.
*My heritage. I come from a long line of faithful Christians who passed on their faith from generation to generation and made it easy for me to know the Way, Truth, and Life.
*My husband. The fact that I married someone who fits me to a T is not to my credit.
*My children. There were times I despaired but they have all grown up to be respectable people who are friends with me and each other.
*My health. So far I have escaped the high blood pressure, diabeties, and cholestrol problems many people my age deal with. I only have scoliosis and rheumatoid arthritis. I have learned to live with the first and medication takes care of the second.
*My house. I have lived in the same house for 42 years. It is not fancy but it is quite comfortable. As indicated, the roof is tight and it adequately shelters me from all kinds of weather.
*My occupation. It has been a privilege to be a career homemaker. Moonlighting as a writer has provided the mental challenge which made life interesting.
*My friends. Every year when I send my Christmas mail I am reminded how many friends I have collected from near and far.
I could go on to list lots of specific "little" things like warm slippers in the winter, cold water on a hot day, etc. etc. etc. The things I could list are endless. It has been said that the two basic needs of every human being are something to do and someone to love. I have an abundance of both for which I am grateful.

No comments: