Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Friday, January 6, 2017

Wear Out or Rust Out

We are a week into the new year and I haven't posted anything yet. That's not because I've been twiddling my thumbs. I did take one day off this week and pretty much slept all day due to a bug my husband generously shared with me, thank you very much. Otherwise, I've been trying to cram as much into this month as I can. 
Normally, I have a list of things I want to accomplish during the winter, start on it in October, and try to finish by April. I don't have that luxury this year as I am scheduled to speak in 13 schools in February and March, beginning February 1 and then one more to finish up on May 10. I'm scrambling to get my 2016 pictures scrapbooked this month. If I can get those done, updating the family and friends books can be worked in later in small doses. There are also other things to take care of this month such as getting the papers filled out to file taxes, a writing project to work on, and a dress to sew---if I get that far. These all have to be fit in around the usual housework, volunteer and babysitting days, and other appointments. I'm not sitting around getting bored! 
Sometimes I wonder if I've done anything worthwhile with my time. Sure, I wrote some books but have they done anyone any good? I get a report twice a year on the sales of my books but hear from very few readers. 
I was blessed at the end of last year to be forwarded two letters that came to the publisher. The first one was from a lady in Cuba who wrote (in Spanish) after reading the Spanish translation of Sandi's Anchor of Hope. She enjoyed the book and was introduced to the Mennonite church through it. She called it "a beautiful book."
The second letter came from a man who read Aaron's Civil War. I don't know where he lives but he said he saw the book in the gift shop of a restaurant in Lancaster and was attracted to it because of his interest in the Civil War. He wrote that he did not realize until he began to read that this was a true story of a real person and he was moved to tears at the end. He was touched deeply enough to write a thank you note for the book.
I don't expect or even want to hear from everyone who reads one of my books, but it is nice once in awhile to know someone was touched deeply enough to come back to say thank you. I was being tempted to say it's time to retire. But now I'm encouraged to go on doing what I can to spread the Good News of hope and salvation. I'd rather wear out than rust out. 


3 comments:

Monica said...

Hi Romaine, after reading this post, I felt called to come out of the woodwork to let you know you do have yet another faithful reader of your blog and some of your books. I wouldn't know where to write you except here, so I just wanted to let you know that "A Home for Sarah" was my favorite book. The historical research and details were fantastic. As a former librarian, I really appreciated the vivid picture you drew with words of a specific time and place.
Your blog is interesting to me because you occasionally mention Lancaster history, which is also a side interest of mine. Keep writing, and thanks for sharing your gift.

Scribbler said...

I just now found your comment. Nice to meet you. I don't hear from many readers so it's encouraging whenever I learn of someone who appreciates my efforts. Sarah is my mother-in-law. She is 93 and still living in her own house.
Have you read Annie's Day of Light? That book is similar to Sarah, full of Lancaster County history during the time of my grandmother (1884-1950). Available from Masthof Press at Morgantown.
Thanks for coming out of the woodwork.

Monica said...

How interesting to hear that Sarah is still with us. I'm going to order Annie's Day of Light or else purchase it on my next visit to the County. It looks like it would be just as engaging to me as the Sarah book. Thanks for the recommendation.