Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Gift Wrap

The Gift Wrap and The Jewel


I looked in the mirror and what did I see
But a little old lady peering back at me,
With bags and sags and wrinkles, and wispy white hair
and I asked my reflection, how did you get there?

You once were straight and vigorous,
And now you're stooped and weak,
When I tried so hard to keep you
From becoming an antique.

My reflection's eyes twinkled,
And she solemnly replied,
You're looking at the gift wrap
And not the jewel inside.

A living gem and precious,
Of unimagined worth,
Unique and true, the real you,
The only one on earth.

The years that spoil your gift wrap
With other things more cruel,
Should purify and strengthen
And polish up that jewel.

So focus your attention
On the inside, not the out,
By being kinder, wiser,
More content, and more devout.

Then, when your gift wrap's stripped away,
Your jewel will be set free,
To radiate God's glory
Throughout eternity.

By Wanda B. Goines (age 92)


No comments: