Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Cherry Pie Filling

After cooking for six children for years, it is hard for me to cut back enough on canning and freezing for two people. This winter I was trying hard to use up the old things and start fresh this year. I had only one pint of cherry pie filling left so this week I canned a new batch. I did 5 quarts and 6 pints yesterday. This is today's crop of 9 quarts and 1 pint. Cherry is Leroy's favorite pie so we should have plenty for another year. The recipe I use makes a lovely thick red pie filling for pies or cobbler.


Cherry Pie Filling

6 cups water
1 pkg. cherry Kool Aid
3 c. sugar
1 heaping cup cook-type Clear Jel
Mix all together and cook until thick and clear.
Stir in 3 oz. cherry jello until dissolved

Pour cooked mixture over 6-8 cups of sour cherries and stir to mix thoroughly.
Put in jars and process 15 minutes for quarts and 10 minutes for pints.
Makes about six quarts.


No comments: