Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Thanksgiving

This week we will observe another Thanksgiving Day. It's a week later than usual this year because November 1 was on a Friday. That moves Thanksgiving a week closer to Christmas.
We usually think of Thanksgiving as a day to thank God for all the good things we have. That is right and good. But last week I read something that made me think a different way about giving thanks. It said something to the effect that we should be thankful for the good things we have and the problems we don't have. 
Here is a short list of problems I'm thankful I don't have:

  • I'm not a widow
  • None of my children have ever been in jail
  • My car isn't wrecked (although I came close to doing that last week)
  • I don't have a terminal illness
  • I don't have debts to pay
  • I don't have to wonder where my next meal will come from
  • I'm not a refugee
  • My husband is not a wife beater or child abuser
  • I don't have any enemies (if anybody is mad at me I'm too dumb to know it)
  • I'm not deaf or blind
  • I don't need an oxygen tank
  • I don't have to worry about where I will go when I die
The list could go on and on. For everything I have that I'm thankful for, there is a problem I'm thankful I don't have.  Everything we have is a gift from God and every problem we don't have is an act of His mercy.







No comments: