Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Friday, December 18, 2020

Controversial Issues

 The election is finally over and that fuss has died down. I was exceedingly weary of and disgusted with all the political posts on social media. But while that has faded out, other controversial subjects continue to swirl on social media.
People are posting things for and against wearing a mask, for and against vaccines. Each side presents "convincing evidence" for their position. How are we supposed to know who is right in these completely opposite positions?  
I've come to the conclusion that the only thing I learn from the things people post is what they think. If someone is against vaccines, that is what they will post. Same for masking or unmasking, voting in elections, abortion, sexual abuse, racism, and other controversial issues. Social media gives people a virtual soap box from which to shout out their opinions.
I know what I think on these subjects but there is no point in me posting anything on social media about it. If people do not agree with me, what I post will either be ignored or start an argument. I got sucked into that a couple times before I learned to keep my mouth shut.  What I say won't change their minds and they won't change mine. The things people are wound up over will eventually dissolve and they will go on to something else.
In all fairness, there are some advantages to social media. It helps us keep in contact with family and friends who live far from us. In an instant, I can hear from my niece in Bangladesh and see pictures from the refugee camp where she works. I can get the news from the lives of my brothers in Canada and Guatemala without waiting or needing a stamp. It's a great improvement over the snail mail we used years ago. 
Social media is like all other forms of communication. These things are not wrong in themselves. It's how you use it that makes it right or wrong. 





No comments: