Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Boys and Noise

   I remember a poem about boys that was in our church papers way back in the 1950s. My mother cut it out and taped it on the cupboard door in the kitchen because it perfectly described my brothers at that time. Years passed, and I often thought of that poem while I was raising boys. I could still quote the beginning and ending but my memory was foggy on the middle.
   Today I found the poem in a book compiled by Marjorie Ebersole titled Living in Sonshine. In the book, multiple writers shared stories and thoughts about their experiences in raising boys. 
  Here's the poem.

Boys and Noise
by Martha Schmucker

Boys screech and scream
To let off steam.
They laugh and sing
Till echoes ring.
They growl and roar
Behind the door. 
They holler and whoop,
Whistle and toot.
They cheer and chatter,
Clash and clatter.
They moan and mumble, 
Groan and grumble.
They yell and shout, 
Indoors and out.
But who would want boys
Without their noise. 

No comments: