Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Personality Types

Yesterday I came across Gary Smalley's description of personality types. I know I heard this before but I had forgotten it. These are easier for me to identify with than the Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholic, and Phlegmatic descriptions of personality types.
Here is a description of the four personality types based on Gary Smalley's writings:

Lion-Take charge. Do it now. This personality likes to lead. The lion is good at making decisions and is very goal-oriented. They enjoy challenges, difficult assignments, and opportunity for advancement. Because lions are thinking of the goal, they can step on people to reach it. Lions can be very aggressive and competitive. Lions must learn not to be too bossy or to take charge in other's affairs. Biblical Example: Paul

Otter- Laid back. Carefree. Otters are very social creatures. Otter personalities love people. They enjoy being popular and influencing and motivating others. Otters can sometimes be hurt when people do not like them. Otter personalities usually have lots of friends, but not deep relationships. They love to goof-off. (They are notorious for messy rooms.) Otters like to hurry and finish jobs. (Jobs are not often done well.) The otter personality is like Tigger in Winnie The Pooh. Biblical Example: Peter

Golden Retriever-Caring. Concerned about feelings. Good at making friends. Very loyal. Retriever personalities do not like big changes. They look for security. Can be very sensitive. Very caring. Has deep relationships, but usually only a couple of close friends. Wants to be loved by everyone. Looks for appreciation. Works best in a limited situation with a steady work pattern. Biblical Example: Abraham


Beaver- Busy. Organized. Pays attention to details. Think that there is a right way to do everything and they want to do it exact that way. Beaver personalities are very creative. They desire to solve everything. Desire to take their time and do it right. Beavers do not like sudden changes. They need reassurance. Biblical Example: Moses

It did not take me long to decide in which category I belong! But I know people often don't see themselves the way other people see them, so I asked Leroy which he thinks I am. After about 10 seconds of thought he came up with the same answer I had. I'm a Beaver. Busy--I always have more ideas for things to do than there is time to get done. Organized--My spices are arranged alphabetically on the shelf. Pays attention to details--socks are hung on the line in pairs with all the heels pointing south. Need reassurance--I needed to hear the one who knows me best verify that I am a Beaver!
Which one are you--Lion, Otter, Golden Retriever, or Beaver?

No comments: