Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Getting High

Some people get high on illegal drugs, others get a jolt from caffeine or some other substance. I'm not a drug abuser (legal or illegal) and caffeine does not keep me awake. I can drink a cup of coffee, go straight to bed, and sleep the same as if I had no coffee. So what gives me a high?
I spent yesterday in Lancaster again, combing through marriage records in the courthouse and 1750-1778 tax records at the historical society. I found so much wonderful stuff I was practically floating all evening. Then I realized the truth---I get high on history!
It took me all of today to fit the pieces in their proper places and file things in their proper slots. I had struggled for weeks to identify a certain widow lady and today things finally fell into place! She played a special role in the Powl family and I now know where she belongs. Isn't that wonderful?!
My Powell article is finished and has been submitted to the editor. I've come down to earth and am feeling a little worn by this evening. When will I get my next high? Next Wednesday. Amos Hoover asked me to accompany him and his wife, Nora, to the courthouse to look at a German will. How could I say no?!
I told Leroy last evening I have everything I need to finish my article and won't have to go to Lancaster again. He just laughed and said, "Until the next time." He knows me well! I'm a history addict. The world is full of questions and finding the answers gives me a high!

No comments: