Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Rest of The Story

My mother always told me she got my name from a Romaine Hertzog she knew and admired. She was a nice girl, pretty, and played the piano. In the process of writing the Sarah book I discovered she is still living and was the first and second grade teacher of Gary Good who is one of my history friends. I asked Gary if he and Judy would go with us to visit her and he made the arrangements with her for this afternoon.
Romaine Hertzog Lefever lives in a cottage at the Brethren Village near the Lancaster airport. We had a nice long visit with her. She said her mother got the name from a Romaine Hacker who lived in Lincoln. I wonder where HER mother got name.
At any rate, I'm so glad I could meet the person who inspired my mother to give me my name. She is no longer just a name to me, but a real person.
Someone once asked me where I got my name. (No kidding!) I said, "My mother gave it to me." But now you know the rest of the story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Greetings Romaine,

We all had a wonderful visit on Sunday afternoon with Mrs.Romaine Hertzog Lefever! "My Miss Hertzog", as I still like to call her, since she was my 1st & 2nd grade teacher at Bergstrasse Elementary School in Ephrata Twp. in 1946-47. Romaine Hertzog indeeed made a big impression on this young boy.

And now I have two favorite Romaines,---Mrs Romaine Burkholder Stauffer, my friend in genealogy and family history research. We both seem to be addicted to this hobby, and are wonderfully supported by our loving spouses, Leroy Stauffer and Judy Good, when we get a bit too "high".

It was also fascinating to have Leroy's mother with us at this visit too. Mrs Sarah Wenger Stauffer was a schoolmate of Romaine Hertzog at Mohler's School in 1931!

Thanks to all for some very warm memories on a very cold January Sunday.

Gary & Judy Good