Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Summer Is Over

Ya-hoo! That boom and crash you heard was me cheering and slamming the lid on the canner as I officially ended my summer of 2008. Many people consider Labor Day the end of the summer but that's not my end-of-season marker. I call summer ended when the porch amd patio are housecleaned and the canning is finished.
I cleaned the porch the end of August and crossed off the patio last week. This morning I canned six measely quarts each of pears and potatoes. I'm not doing grapes or pumpkins this year so that's the end of the line for the summer. I had so much left from last year I didn't need to can or freeze much this year, but I'm still glad to be finished and move into the next season. This has been a hectic summer due to going on trips, catching up when we returned, and trying to squeeze in as many of the usual summer activities as we could. I'm looking forward to the luxury of moving at a little slower pace during the fall.
What will I do with all the extra time? Well, for starters, my house needs a good cleaning. I'm having two workshops at a ladies seminar the end of this month. I have several writing projects started which were resting over summer and a couple ideas for new ones. A lady in Canada has asked if I would be interested in going to Bucks County to look for her Huber ancestors. I am still hunting for my own Powell ancestors and researching the Good line. I am hoping to do some quilting and I have a little pile of books waiting to be read. I may be moving at a slower pace this fall but I don't think I will be twiddling my thumbs---at least not away from the keyboard.

No comments: