Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy Birthday

Thanks to all of you who wished me a happy birthday. It's happening. It's not as exciting as the year the numbers were reversed and I had finally reached the magic number to get a driver's license and run with the young people. On the other hand, I do not want to have to go through that year of my life again. I'm not the same person I was when I was 16. I much prefer my stolid steady plodding pace today. I don't have to wonder what course my life will take for most of it has already been lived. I'm happy and content with my lot in life and being through the thick of raising a family. Now I have time to pursue my own hobbies and interests instead of spending my days meeting the immediate and urgent needs of the family.
This morning we had a very inspiring message on how the way the Christian walks is paved with the promises of God. No matter what happens, His promises give us comfort and security. I bought myself a special treat for Sunday dinner--Weaver's prepared southern fried chicken. This afternoon we visited an old lady in the neighborhood I have befriended. She misunderstood something that happened and wrote me an angry letter. So I took her a plate of Christmas cookies, stroked her fur while I explained what really happened, and we parted on just as friendly terms as before. I don't have an enemy in this world (that I know of) and I'd like to keep it that way.
This evening we plan to go to a candlelight service at the Coleman Chapel just north of Brickerville. I have often wanted to see the inside of that old church and this is the perfect opportunity. It was named for Robert Coleman who bought the Elizabeth Furnace from Henry Stiegel in the 1700s. Elizabeth Furnace was right next to the chapel. Stiegel also had an iron furnace at Charming Forge just a few miles from here. He lived too extravagently and was bankrupted. There was no government bailout in colonial days so he died a pauper. The candlelight service will be a nice finishing touch to a happy birthday. (And I won't have another one for a whole year.)

No comments: