Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Friday, August 27, 2010

No Small Potatoes

The march toward fall continues. Our days are warm and bright but nights are cool. This morning it was down to 54. I took the window unit out of the bedroom today and cleaned those windows. I don't think we'll need AC anymore this year.
This week the sound of corn choppers was heard all day long as the fields were being stripped bare. Last evening Gene and Amy came over to help dig the potatoes. We got two (2) baskets! This is the smallest crop ever. I don't know what happened. There was enough rain and we kept the weeds down better than usual but they died off early and obviously quite a few did not produce a thing. I'm sure we won't go hungry this winter. We'll just have to buy our potatoes. Thankfully, that will not be the hardship it would have been thirty years ago when we had a family of boys to feed. We used to plant 50 pounds of potatoes then.
Gene was born on August 30, 1980. Digging potatoes around his birthday time is sort of a family tradition. I was in labor while Leroy and the children were digging the potatoes. I managed to wait until they finished and then we rushed to the hospital. That was no small potatoes!

1 comment:

Gene and Amy Stauffer said...

No wonder I like french fries so much.