Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cracks

I came across Leonard Cohn's Anthem this morning. I'm not very good at abstract thinking so I've have been mulling over the lines, trying to figure out exactly what he is saying. Here are some excerpts:


The birds they sang at the break of day
Start again
I heard them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away
or what is yet to be. . .
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.


I think what he's saying is that we live in an imperfect world and cannot expect a perfect life. But the imperfections and flaws in life are beneficial. There are lessons to be learned from
*the sadness that comes from disappointment
*the agony of defeat
*the solitude of isolation and loneliness
*the grief of death

There is a perfect world but we have to leave this one before we can enter into it. Meanwhile, I hope the cracks in your world bring light into your life.

No comments: