Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Short Notice

I'm the kind of person who likes to work ahead make plans in advance. I like to know when things are going to happen and follow the plan. I get frustrated if the deadline is approaching and things are not ready to go. But I found out this weekend that sometimes I can go on short notice and things can happen without advance notice. 
My nephew, Jonathan, and his family who live in San Diego have been here on vacation for over a week. They have not been here for seven years and their time was pretty well scheduled full with his own family. There did not seem to be a time for the extended family to see him. We had been to San Diego a couple years ago and had seen them then. We thought we might have to be satisfied with that.
Then a window of time opened last evening. We had to drive over an hour to his parents home but that's a lot closer than San Diego. Amazingly, all four of our sons were also able to see him that day. Two of them had only a half hour notice. He was surprised when they showed up.
Some of Jonathan's sisters also were there and my sister had a full house for supper. I made some cole slaw to take along and other contributions appeared on the table. Jonathan and his wife are standing at the end of the table.


Everything worked out and everyone had a good time in spite of no prior planning. That said, I really don't see it as a life-changing event. I think I shall still prefer planning and preparing in advance.

No comments: