Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Bottom Line

Through many years of sewing for the family, I saved the scraps with intentions of piecing comfort tops for the needy when I'm an old lady. Years passed, the pile grew, and nothing happened. I was busy with other things I enjoyed more than piecing comfort tops and I wasn't getting old. Eventually I decided I will never get all those scraps used up and gave them to an old lady who needed something to do and was glad to have them.
Of course, I kept sewing clothes, curtains, and other things. The pile of scraps started growing again. I was still happily doing other things and not getting old enough to piece tops for pastime. Instead of spending most of my time with the sewing machine when I was an empty nester, it turned out to be my computer instead. Writing stories is more fun than sewing.
A couple years ago when my scrap bin was full to the top, I decided it is time to do something about it. I got as far as cutting all the reds and blues into blocks and piecing one top. But after that was done I decided I had enough sewing. I cut up the rest of the scraps and gave them to someone else to sew.
I was intending to give the red and blue top to the sewing circle for comfort knotting, but after it was finished I thought it was nice enough to quilt. So I added a border and put it away until I had time to quilt it.


Two years later, it was on my to-do list for this winter. I put it on the end of the list and if I didn't have time by March it would wait for another year. The other things on my list went faster than I expected and I did have time after all in February. On February 22 a group of Burkholder cousins came to help me quilt.

I marked it with all straight lines, so it was easy quilting. They got a lot done and I was able to finish the rest myself the next day. I did the binding today and here is the finished product.


It will be put back on the shelf now for a couple more years until the next granddaughter graduates from high school. This is the only quilt I have ever pieced from small blocks and there may never be another one. 
The bottom line of this story is that I have finished everything I had on my list for this winter and I still have two weeks of winter left to do some extra things. Don't worry. I haven't run out of ideas!

No comments: