Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Twin Kiss Date

We got a nice variety of gift certificates to restaurants for our anniversary last summer. We don't go out to eat much but will go once in awhile for special occasions. We decided since we have so many certificates just now we will use one of them for Valentine's Day. We had Bible School that evening so we went one day late.
The certificate we chose to use was for the Twin Kiss. That seemed the most appropriate because the Twin Kiss is where our relationship began way back at the end of 1964, just as I was turning 17. At that time, there was a Twin Kiss in three locations--Myerstown, Ephrata, and New Holland. It was the place to go to see who else was there. Leroy says sometimes the guys hit all three in one evening. We girls weren't so adventurous. We usually just went to one and if there was "nobody there" tried again the next week and maybe at a different one depending on where we went to youth meeting. We usually went to youth meeting at a church somewhere on Saturday nights and to Twin Kiss afterward.  I was too tight to buy much to eat but often got a root beer float. We went to church somewhere on Sunday nights too but did not buy anything to eat afterward. First of all, we didn't spend any money on Sundays (not even to make a pay phone call) and no business places were open on Sundays.
Well, back to 1964. I "ran around" with three other girls every weekend. I was the only one who had my own car (1953 Chevy) so I was usually the driver. I don't remember where we were at church that Saturday night but afterward we went to the Ephrata Twin Kiss. Three guys we knew showed up. In fact, one of my friends was dating one of those guys but they only had a date on Sunday nights. So of course, we four girls linked up with those three guys.
We talked awhile and drank root beer floats. Then one of the guys suggested we go somewhere together. Leroy was driving that night so all 7 of us piled in his Corvair. The dating couple got in the back with the other guy and one of my friends popped in beside him. Four in the back was a tight fit! That left me and the fourth girl to sit in the front seat with Leroy. (It was a bench seat so it easily held three.) Whoever got in first would have to sit in the middle beside Leroy. 
My friend and I stood there, each waiting for the other to get in first. The pause was long enough that I started feeling sorry for Leroy because it was obvious neither of us wanted to sit beside him. I decided to be brave and got in. He says he didn't think I'd be interested in him or expect anything to come of it. I didn't have any intentions either when I slid into the middle of the seat. I was just going along for the ride, but while we were driving around I decided I liked that spot. He was a mature 21 and I knew his family. I was short and the Corvair was just my size.
The night ended and we all went home. But I told one of my friends I had liked that ride and she promptly passed the information down the grapevine through the guy she was dating. The next couple weekends we "just happened" to show up at the same places and had our first date the last Sunday of the year. More than 50 years later, I'm still going along for the ride.
We had a lot of fun reminiscing while we ate at Twin Kiss last night. Leroy got a root beer float to enhance the flavor of the memories. Unfortunately, the Ephrata Twin Kiss has been demolished so we went to Myerstown, which is closer to where we live anyway. The menu is bigger than it was in the 60s but the root beer floats are just as good and the memories never change. 

No comments: