Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Outen the Light

   Years ago we bought a light switch plate with a Pennsylvania Dutch design that says "Outen the light." Last week my 12-year-old grandson asked where I got the switch plate. I told him I didn't remember and asked if he knows what it means. He didn't, so I explained that's the way PA Dutch people say "turn the light off." My family actually said "outen the light" when I was growing up.
    I went on to explain that PA Dutch sentence structure is often backwards from the way it is spoken in English. So when a Dutchman speaks in English, things might come out backwards. For instance, "throw the cow over the fence some hay."  He seemed to understand and that was the end of the discussion.
    I never learned enough PA Dutch to hold a conversation but I have a strong Dutch accent. I can understand enough to respond (in English) if someone speaks to me in Dutch. I don't say "outen the light" anymore but more of that kind of thing is still there than I realized. One day this week I caught myself saying to my husband, "get me the hedge trimmer down." Fortunately, I am married to a man whose first language was PA Dutch. He never batted an eye. When I laughed at myself, he said, "We understood each other, didn't we?" 
   That backwards sentence just came out automatically without thinking. How often do I do that without realizing it? There are a lot of terms we use when we speak English that don't make sense unless you have a good Dutch background.
   The milk is all.  (used up)
   I'm going awhile.   (on ahead)
   It's really making down.   (raining heavily)
   Redd up in here. (put the clutter away)
   Give me that once. (let me have it)

   There are also many Dutch words mixed with English. Our children grew up saying words they didn't realize were Dutch. If they did know, they understood what the words meant and when to use them.
    schmutz---grease
    brutz---cry
    catz---cat
    doppich---awkward
    kutz---vomit
    ferschitt---spilled
    gagarish---cry loudly
    unferschtendich---unbelieveable
    wutz---pig
    butz--clean off
    bubbely---baby
    ferhoodled---mixed up
    rutz naus---snot nose
    dunner---thunder or loud noise

    Pennsylvania Dutch is a colorful language. Some things just sound better in Dutch. Maybe I should go back to saying "outen the light."

No comments: