Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

End of the Books

    In 2003, I had 5,000 copies printed of my first self-published book, Annie's Day of Light. The book sold like hotcakes and in less than a year I had another 4,000 copies printed. Self-publishing means the writer pays for the printing and the books are delivered to his/her address. Then it is the writer's job to advertise and ship the books to buyers. We stored the book pile on pallets in a corner of the basement where there were no water lines overhead. This is how the book pile looked after a shipment.


   A book always sells best when it is new. By the time the second printing arrived, sales had slowed and continued to decrease as the years passed by. I could not afford to advertise just one book. Cost of advertising ate all the profits. Without advertising, sales kept dropping.
   Then I self-published a second book, A Home for Sarah, in 2006 and the pile was stacked high for the third time. Those 5,000 copies sold within six months and I had another 3,000 printed. That book sold out several years ago but I still had about 1,000 copies of Annie's Day of Light. I thought the pile would outlive me and I'd never see the floor in that corner again.
    Then a miracle happened. In June, two women who have the Honey I'm a Homemaker podcast did an episode on the  Annie book. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hp319xMkeQ
    Sales skyrocketed. Today, three months later, the pile is gone and I can see the floor again. We hung the porch swing that had been in that corner before the books came. It had been in storage all these years and most of our grandchildren never saw it. The three cases still in the corner are an order I need to deliver and an assortment of my books I kept for my own use.
   


   It took 21 years to sell 17,000 books. I am not reprinting. I don't want to be bothered with it anymore. I have written ten more books since self-publishing these two but went through a publisher who handles the cost of printing, advertising and shipping of sales. The royalties are not as great as the profits in self-publishing, but it's a lot less work and headache. I'm just glad I lived to see the end of the books!
   

No comments: