Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Senior Citizen

I've done it! When I went to Dutchway for groceries this morning, I got a Senior card so I can take advantage of the discount they give to age 60-and-above shoppers on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I qualified on a certain day last December but it takes time to adjust to this Senior Citizen thing.
As I drove home, I reflected on the change in the cards I carry in my wallet. When I was married, the only cards in my wallet were my identification card and driver's license. We had no credit or debit cards. The first of those took up residence around 1975. I added a library card when I took the children to the public library every week. When the bakery at Dutchway started giving a free cookie to card-holding children under 12, I carried a cookie card. That card has long since disappeared and is now replaced with my Senior card.
The contents of my purse has changed over the years too. It used to hold diapers and pacifiers. Now it contains a scissors and thimble. At least I'm not to the prescription drugs and magnifying glass stage yet! So I'll count my blessings and continue to consider myself middle-aged (ok, on the high end of middle-age) even though the Senior Citizen label is pasted on me. The greed for saving a buck overcame my vanity and I am now a certified card-carrying Senior Citizen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Romaine and welcome to the Sr. Citizen Penny-Pinching Brigade! I got my Dutchway Sr. Citizen discount card some 7 years ago in Schaefferstown. I also like to shop at BB's in Schaefferstown--Bents, Bumps and Bunches of Bargains, owned and operated by the Amish. At that time BB's was only open on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and since Dutchway only honored my discount card on Tuesdays & Wednesdays, it was very clear to a penny-pinching senior that TUESDAYS was the magic day to make a grand Economical Excursion. Therefore, on Tuesdays I would leave Cornwall on Rt #419 and head for Schaefferstown, landing at BB's first to get all I could find that we needed there, and then circle back to Dutchway on Rt #501 to get the rest with the discount card!

Macht's gut!
Gary Good, the Cornwall Sr. Penny-Pincher!?

Anonymous said...

I guess here in Ga. they think you get older younger! When you turn 55 you can have the privilege of going to the seniors seminar at Hartwell! -coleensr