Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Recipe

I have been blessed with a husband who will eat almost anything (except cucumbers). Being the oldest of ten children whose parents were married very young and during World War II, they did not live high on the hog. (To this day, he will not empty a dish unless I insist because he grew up always leaving a little in the dish in case someone else at the table wanted more. ) The food I serve him can be described as "fast, cheap, and easy." I have too many other things I enjoy more than cooking to fuss around making elaborate meals that get destroyed in a matter of minutes by a set of teeth.
I seldom get either complaints or compliments on my cooking, so when he asks for something I know it is something he really likes. Last night he mentioned that it has been awhile since I made the recipe I got from my daughter-in-love. I like when I get suggestions what to cook. It makes meal planning easier and I know it is something he wants to eat.
I don't have a title for this recipe but it is a Berks County special with a German flavor. Here it is:
1/2 -3/4 pkg. wide noodles
4 apples
4 Tbs. butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
Cut sausage into small pieces and fry in a skillet. Boil noodles according to package directions. Wash, pare, and cut apples into thin slices. Melt 2 tbs. butter and place in oblong 13x9x2" dish. Place half the cooked, drained noodles into the dish. Place half of the sausage pieces on top of the noodles. Place half of the apples on top of the sausage. Mix the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle 1/2 of this mixture in the pan. Layer the remainder of the noodles, sausage, apples, and sugar mixture. Dot with remaining 2 tbs. butter. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until apples are soft.
You can use other kinds of sausage but the sweet Italian is the best. It sounds like an unusual mixture (if you aren't German) but it is delicious. Enjoy!
I have spent yesterday and today doing the final proofreading of a historical article which will be published in April. Cooking tonight must be fast, cheap, and easy. And now you know what we're having.

2 comments:

Miller scribe said...

Sounds good to me, but I didn't marry a Berks Co Dutchman. Wouldn't go over very well with the born & bred Midwesterners in my household!

Gene and Amy Stauffer said...

You mean the Millers of Shartlesville fame, who fled west when the Indian attacks became to frequent to bear?

Its likely that those Millers have some sort of ties to the Millers of Annville, ancestors of said daughter-in-love.

Furthermore, said recipe was also passed down by a distant Weaverland Valley Stauffer relative. That lady is a third cousin to Pop. Amy lived with her for a time.

Its a small world. And food (not blood) is what brings us all together. *grin*