Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Monday, December 31, 2012

End of The Year

The end of a year seems to be a time for reflection and self-examination. What have I accomplished in the past year? Was it worthwhile enough to justify my existence? What mistakes did I make? What changes do I need to make? What are my goals for the next twelve months?
While I seldom make a list of formal resolutions, I do usually have at least a mental list of things I hope to accomplish. One of my goals for 2012 was to read the Bible through in the NIV. I started at Genesis 1 and read straight through, finishing with Revelation 22 on December 29. There are benefits to reading large portions in order rather than short portions at random. But I also felt that it was like gulping down a large meal without taking time to chew. I enjoyed that for one year but I think I'll go back to taking smaller bites in 2013.
The quiet, slow winter season when daylight is in short supply and outdoor work pauses, is a good time to do some things I don't have time for in other seasons. So my year always starts with a to-do list that includes scrapbooking the previous year's pictures and getting things ready to file taxes. Other things on the list will vary depending on the latest new ideas and what seems most important. At the moment, I have some writing projects in progress and fabric waiting to become curtains.
The #1 job for 2013 is compiling and editing a book on The History and Development of the Mid-Atlantic Mennonite Fellowship. I am doing this at the request of the Mid-Atlantic ministerial body. I asked each congregation to assign a writer to submit a history of their congregation and biographical sketches of past and present leaders. Things have been coming in and I have enough to keep me busy for several weeks. I hope the missing pieces keep trickling in fast enough to keep me going so I can finish by the end of February.
Of course, between writing, sewing, scrapbooking, and whatever else gets in my way, I will also be doing all the usual housekeeping, babysitting, and volunteer work. I don't have time to get cabin fever. I could do without snow but I wonder when I'd get some of these things done if there was no winter season.
So I shall start out bravely tomorrow morning and plow through 2013, hoping to accomplish enough to justify my existence and be granted permission to continue. I need more time if I'm going to finish some other things I started that are simmering on the back burner.

1 comment:

Merle and Edith Burkholder said...

I agree that the on year Bible reading plan can feel like jogging. I took a one year Bible reading plan and divided it into two years. I read the New Testament passage and a Psalm one day then an Old Testament passage and a Proverb the next day. Yesterday I finished my sixth time through the Bible using that reading plan.This morning I started on round 7. ~merle