Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Grandparent's Day

We don't get to participate in many grade school activities because Cheryl lives in Ohio and Dales home school. I was happy to be invited to Grandparent's Day at the Ephrata Mennonite School today for two reasons. Three of Jay & Marilyn's children go there and it's where I went for nine years myself. (Jay & Marilyn's children aren't actually our grandchildren but they call us Grandpa and Grandma.)
Grandparents were invited to tell or read a story or do something for the grade their grandchildren are in. Lauren is in kindergarten and the twins are in fourth grade. I read one of my "Esther" stories in each room. I chose those stories because they were written about things I remember from my years in that school. From the sounds I heard while I was reading, I believe they liked the stories.
The story I read to kindergarten told how Esther went to school and learned that lmnop is not one long letter in the middle of the alphabet but actually five separate letters. After I finished reading to the kindergarten, they treated us to a few songs. Unfortunately, Lauren is hidden behind someone's head in this picture. After they finished singing we had lunch with the children.



I was surprised how many familiar faces I saw at school today; not among the students but in the grandparent crowd. It sure doesn't seem like more than 55 years since I was 5 and learning the things these children are learning today. It was fun to go back to school again and remember the good old days.

No comments: