Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Empty Nest Trial

I got an email Saturday evening from my niece, Bethanie, saying Gerald had safely arrived at her home in La Source, Haiti, and she had fed him a pizza supper. After two days of traveling to get there, I am guessing he could use a Sunday day of rest before he starts helping her in the clinic this morning.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch I have already noticed the difference one less person makes in a household. The dishes of food I cooked yesterday were pitifully small and this morning's laundry was three measly loads. A few of Gerald's items were in the wash but there will be none on Thursday which is my normally my second wash day of the week. It will hardly be worth washing more than once a week but we don't have enough of some things to make it that long.
I remember the empty feeling when I shipped Gerald off to kindergarten and was alone in the house for the first time after twenty years of having preschoolers underfoot. It took me about three days to get used to it. But this is different. Some of our friends have been empty nesters for many years. We have been blessed to have children (or at least one child) in the house for over 40 years. I can stand an empty nest for two weeks but I'm glad it's not permanent.

No comments: