Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Road To Anarchy

Last week my nephew gave a very inspiring presentation on The Road To Anarchy. I wish you all could have heard it. Here is the outline in capsule form, using illustrations from the history of the nation of Israel.

System: Biblical Morality (Deut. 4:5-9; Deut. 5:1-29)
Philosopny: What is required?
Essence: God says
What Restrains: The judgment of God

System: Consensus Morality (1 Sam. 8:1-7 Elder's consensus; v. 19-22 WE say)
Philosophy: What is acceptable?
Essence: We believe
What Restrains: Approval of others

System: Pragmatism (1 Kings 12:26-33)
Philosophy: What is practical?
Essence: I think
What Restrains: Expedience

System: Hedonism (1 Kings 21; I want it; it pleases me)
Philosophy: What is pleasurable?
Essence: I feel
What Restrains: Pain, discomfort

System: Anarchy (2 Kings 17:7-23; Deut. 11:1, 26-28)
Philosophy: Nobody tells me what to do!
Essence: I will
What Restrains: Nothing

Where is our nation on the road to anarchy? Where is your church? Where are you? What philosophy rules your life? If you are further down the road than you realized, remember it is a two-lane highway. You can always turn around and go back to Biblical Morality.

No comments: