Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother's Day

This Sunday is Mother's Day. My mother was almost 21 when I was born and she died at the age of 66 so I had a mother on earth for 45 years. My husband is 67 and his mother is still with us. Sometimes I feel like I got shortchanged. Mother's Day always stirs up those memories and feelings. But my loss was her gain and she certainly earned her eternal reward. I wouldn't want to shortchange her of the rest and peace she is enjoying in Heaven.
"Little but oh my!" That was Mom. She was only 4' 10" tall but she was a spiritual giant. She never went further than eighth grade in school but she had more wisdom that some people who have earned a Phd.
Mom loved to read and passed that love of books on to her children by reading to us every day. When one of us started school she took time to read a few verses from the Bible and pray with that child every morning before the school bus came. At the end of second grade she told us that we can read well enough now to have our own devotions. In this way she helped us learn to read and to have a daily devotional time.
Mom taught the ladies Sunday School class every Sunday for many years. I never realized how much time that took to study every week until I started teaching twice each month. She is still remembered as one of the best teachers we had in Sunday school. When she was in her sixties she chose a title and theme verse for each chapter in the Bible and memorized the list. She reviewed the list constantly so she would not forget. If I wanted to know where to find something in the Bible I just asked Mom and she could tell me without looking it up in a concordance.
Mom's Bible knowledge was the basis of her wisdom but some of it was just common sense with a down-to-earth (and touch of humor) approach.
Mom taught me
* proper self-esteem: "Get to work. You're not just here for pretty."
* to overcome fear of the dark: "Don't worry, nothing will get you. And if it does, in the morning when it sees what it got it will bring you back."
* work ethics: "The quickest way to do a job is to do it right the first time."
* nonresistance: "It takes two to fight."
* respect for authority: "Because I said so, that's why."
* logic: "If you fall and break your neck, don't come crying to me."
* medical science: "Carrots are good for your eyes. You'll never see a rabbit wearing glasses.
* compassion: "If you were as near dead as you make it sound you couldn't cry that loud."

I learned a lot from Mom about faith AND works. I managed to get as tall as she was but she still towers over me in other ways. In July it will be eighteen years since she left us but I think of her often and every Mother's Day I still miss her. Thanks for life Mom!

No comments: