Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bowmansville Roller Mill

Yesterday we went to see the Bowmansville Roller Mill in action. They were grinding whole wheat with the ancient grindstones and sawing boards in the sawmill. All of this was done by water power. There was no sound of any engines. I took lots of videos.
For some goofy reason my camera was off-color and the pictures are too blue. I am really disappointed. But I guess that gives me a reason to go back sometime next year when they do another demonstration.
Although the color is horrible, here are a few videos to give you a small taste of the mill in action. This is the sawmill.

Here is the miller grinding wheat between two millstones. I don't know who he is, but he is not a Pennsylvania Dutchman. His accent betrays him. The man who operated the sawmill was local. He even spoke the dialect.

Maybe next year I can post better pictures. I fiddled around with the camera after I was home and it is fine now. I don't know what caused the problem or how it was corrected. Maybe it had a frog in it's throat or something from the cold weather. Snow flurries were flying.

No comments: