Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

No New Book

I am SOOO tired of being asked, "Are you writing another book?" I don't mind when the question is asked by another writer because it is "shop talk" rather than mere curiosity. But going to a reunion, party, or other meeting often results in being asked the same question a half dozen times in the space of a couple hours. That gets old!
I am sure when a person asks that question they do not realize how many other people have asked the same question or that they might be the sixth person in that particular group or gathering who has asked the same thing. If the answer is "yes," I do not want to talk about it until it is near the finish line. And if the answer is "no" I get strange looks followed by, "You're not?" Then I have to repeat, "No, I'm not." Either way, I wish they wouldn't ask.
At the moment, the answer is "NO. I AM NOT WRITING ANOTHER BOOK." Did you get that? "NO, I'M NOT." (And please don't ask again the next time you see me.) Several rumors have gotten back to me about books I am writing. If you heard any of those rumors, they are not true. One of them had a grain of truth. I did write a lengthy article for a historical magazine which will be published sometime next year, but it is not a book.
I have been doing some proofreading and editing of other people's writing, giving advice to aspiring writers, doing some research on things which may or may not develop into writing projects in the future, and trying to write some short pieces. But there is no book anywhere on the horizon. So if anybody asks you if I'm writing another book, tell them NO. And if you have any wise answers I can use when I am asked the dreaded question, send them on.

1 comment:

Gene and Amy Stauffer said...

You could reply, "when are you?" Works for me when people ask when we're having kids.