Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Friday, November 28, 2008

A Happy Thanksgiving

We usually get together with the Stauffers on Thanksgiving. If they are all there, the family numbers around 85. This year we did something different. I invited my sisters to come here for Thanksgiving dinner. One sister brought a son, the other brought a friend, and we still have one son at home. So the circle around our table was a grand total of nine!

We have developed the practice of having a Sister's Day whenever one of us has a birthday. The birthday girl gets to choose the activity. Since mine is coming up in December, I decided to make Thanksgiving double as Sister's Day and elected to bake Christmas cookies after dinner. We ended up with five different kinds of cookies which we divided among us. Baking cookies helped us work off the turkey dinner instead of just sitting around getting attached to it. I usually have my Christmas mail started by Thanksgiving but I have not done a thing yet. On the other hand, I don't usually have the cookies baked this early. It's probably an even trade.

This Thanksgiving was different than usual but just as much fun. The size of the crowd does not determine the level of satisfaction or quality of friendship. One of the things I am thankful for is sisters who are my best friends.

1 comment:

Miller scribe said...

I hope we'll be lucky enough to reap a little of the benefits [of baking]. I decided it's possible to have Christmas without Christmas cookies since we're ill-equipped to bake this year.