Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Life Cycle

I was going through some of my stuff when I came across this note I scribbled a couple years ago. I do not remember the source.

When we are under 12 we count our age by half years. "I'm 6 1/2 . . . 10 1/2. . . " etc.
After 12 it's "I'm 12 going on 13 . . . . 15 going on 16."
Then we:
Become 21
Turn 30 (like it's sour milk or something)
Push 40
Reach 50
Make it to 60 and
Hit 70.
At 80 we live one day at a time; we hit Wednesday, hit lunch, etc.
When we reach 90 we minimize our age by saying, "I'm just 90."
And at 100 we come full circle and go back to counting by half years. "I'm 100 1/2 . . . 101 1/2 . . . " etc.

I remember feeling quite grown up when I was ten and had two numbers in my age. My dad said, "It will be a long time until you have three numbers." I have a long ways to go until I have three numbers and am back to counting by half years!

No comments: