Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Scrapbooking

This is the time of year I try to get my scrapbooking done. I'm not a professional scrapbooker with piles of name-brand supplies. I have a few simple basic tools, stickers, papers, etc. All my supplies fit in two drawers in my desk. I make my pages on the computer using 8.5 x 11 paper. That makes it impossible for me to attend scrapbooking parties where women work on pages together but it is the method I prefer because I do a lot of writing on my pages. My own handwriting tends to run either uphill or down and I can get more words on a page when I type them. To me, the writing is more important than all the embellishments which do not tell anything about the picture. It's more important to me to have my books to tell a story than be works of art.
I've been plugging away at scrapbooking since right after Christmas and am half way through the general pictures from 2009. Today I was updating my Friends book, putting in the pictures we got in the 2009 Christmas cards. I also have a book for each of our children which I update annually. I hope to have everything up to date by spring.
I have stacks of books of pictures from my whole life, both of our families, trips we took, and family history books. I've spent a lot of time making these books and sometimes I wonder if this is a worthwhile use of my time. These scrapbooks mean more to me than anyone else because I can remember all these things and places. What will happen to these books after I'm gone? Who is even going to want them? They would probably go on the quarter pile on auction. But I guess I'll keep plugging away at it awhile longer. If they don't mean anything to anybody else, maybe they will be good company when I'm a lonely old lady too feeble to go out and do anything else.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

In about three generations from now, someone will be interested and consider them a great find! Your great-great-great-great grandchildren will likely giggle over them and wonder what you were really like.

Miller scribe said...

Actually I think your children are making plans to fight over them at your estate sale some day. I am under the impression the boys think I shouldn't be in the count because I scrapbook myself.