Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Anniversary Party

We reached the 40th anniversary of our wedding date on July 15, but this weekend we enjoyed a big party our children hosted to celebrate the event. I cannot believe how dense I was to all they were doing behind our backs. The thought they might have a party had crossed our minds but we agreed there are no signs of anything going on and we were happy with that. How wrong we were!
Cheryl and her family arrived about bedtime on Friday night. She wanted to go shopping on Saturday and I thought we had all day. We went to Ephrata and mosied our way home. She tells me now she about wilted when I suggested going into Dutchway's restaurant for a little lunch. She turned down all suggestions for other places to shop, so we went home. (She had things to do I didn't know about!)
I had told all our children to come for supper around 6 and was surprised to see Gene and Amy were there already. As soon as I got out of the car, everyone that was there came and surrounded me.
Gene said, "I didn't get the lettuce and tomatoes for supper tonight."
I said, "I was just at Dutchway. I could have gotten them if you had told me."
"Well, I figured we don't need them."
"Oh! So when YOU have to buy lettuce it isn't necessary." (We have this on-going joke about me being too tight to buy lettuce.)
"What time were you expecting people to come?"
"Six o'clock."
"Well, if you're here at 6 you'll be disappointed because nobody is coming."
"They're not?! They all said they can."
"No. They're not. And you're not supposed to be here either. You're supposed to be at Blue Lake at 3:30."
After all the clues I missed, the light finally came on then. It was so much more fun for them if we were surprised, but I am left wondering about my mental capabilities! Things were said and done right under my nose and I never caught on to a thing.
I was overcome when I got to Blue Lake and saw all they were doing for us. It was a full-fleged party with 170 people invited that lasted from 4-8 p.m. Of course, not everyone came, but we counted 111 in attendance. It was so much fun seeing who all showed up and visiting with everyone.
I was especially surprised to see Amos and Nora Hoover there. They gave us the "biggest" gift--a 500,000,000 German Mark note from 1923. That money was printed in September and worthless by November. A lot of people lost their fortunes in the process. Now I am wondering if I am a multi-millionaire or not. Imagine it! 500,000,000! I guess I'll frame it because I'll never have another million in my lifetime.
In spite of the note with the invitation stating "no gifts," we did get quite a few cards with cash gifts in them. It will take some thought what to get with it. I certainly am not going to spend it for groceries! We had a wonderful time and made many memories that will last a lifetime. Many thanks to everyone that came and helped make it happen!
Here are a few pictures from the party.

Meeting the guests.

The party in progress.


The bridal party, minus the best man who lives in Florida and could not attend. Notice our wedding clothes hanging on the wall behind us. Why didn't I wear the dress? Three guesses and the first two don't count!










No comments: