Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Things That Truly Last

After supper last evening I literally "hung out" on the patio--in the hammock. I had a busy day filled with a lot of little things that added up to a full day's work. I was so tired I didn't even take a book with me. That turned out to be a good thing.
With no printed page in front of me, I was more aware of the world around me. I heard the music of the kadydids and crickets, saw the points of light courtesy of the fireflies, smelled the fragrance of drying hay in the field across the road, and felt the gentle little breezes coming through the screens. This is life at its best!
I was reminded of Rudyard Kipling's poem, Philadelphia. He talks about how different Philadelphia is today from colonial days and then winds up with this verse (emphasis mine):

If you're off to Philadelphia this morning,
And wish to prove the truth of what I say,
I pledge my word you'll find the pleasant land behind
Unaltered since Red Jacket rode that way.
Still the pine-woods scent the noon; still the catbird sings his tune;
Still autumn sets the maple-forest blazing;
Still the grapevine through the dusk flings her soul-compelling musk;
Still the fireflies in the corn make night amazing!
They are there, there, there with Earth immortal
(Citizens, I give you friendly warning).
The things that truly last when men and times have passed,
They are all in Pennsylvania this morning!


No comments: