Comments are welcome but please have the courtesy to sign your name. Unsigned comments will be deleted.

Friday, July 6, 2007

I Hate Changes

I hate making changes, especially those related to technology. There are people who like to be on the cutting edge of new technology. They are the people who stood in line for hours (or days) to get the first iPhones last week. Not me! I'm skeptical. My philosophy is that new technologies usually have some bugs in them that need worked out. Let somebody else have those headaches and then maybe someday I'll try it.
It's not just technology. I won't tell you how old the wallpaper is in my kitchen but it goes quite a few years back into the previous century. I sleep in the same bed in which I was born. And I still have every (unchipped) piece of the china doll dishes I got for Christmas when I was six years old.
What makes me so reluctant to change? I think I found the answer.
Yesterday I finished typing a list of my ancestors, tracing 16 lines back to the immigrants or beyond. All but one of those lines are Swiss/German and all of them arrived in Pennsylvania in the 1700s. Some of them lived in the Philadelphia area for a short time, but then all of them moved inland to Lancaster County where they put it in park and stayed for generations.
I can count on the fingers of one hand those who died in another state or county. The vast majority lived not only in Lancaster County, but in one of the three Earl Townships. (Earl, East Earl, and West Earl)
My ancestors lived in Lancaster County for 250 years until my parents broke the pattern and moved to Berks County in 1967. Maybe that's why it's so hard for me to make changes. It's in my genes.

No comments: